Mastermind Chess Academy from Chennai clinches the 4th Inter-city Invitational Chess Championship!
South Mumbai Chess Academy’s 4th Inter-city Invitational Chess Tournament was held on the 22nd of November 2020. The tournament was a team championship with participants between FIDE ELO Rating of 1000-1500 Points. The fourth edition of the tournament had a total of 10 participating teams. The 4th edition of the tournament was held on SMCA’s tournament portal https://play.smcalive.com/, unlike the previous three times when it was held on lichess.org.
The participating academies for the 4th Edition of the tournament were as follows:
Maestro Chess Academy(MCA) – Hyderabad, Team A, B & C: Maestro Chess Academy is headed by FIDE Instructor Amithpal Singh. Coach Amithpal has been teaching chess for 20+ years. MCA has groomed budding champions and shaped their chess careers since 2013. They participated in the last 2 edition of the tournament as well. This time they sent in 3 teams for the tournament.
Mastermind Chess Academy (MMCA): Chennai, Team A & B: Mastermind Chess Academy is headed by Senior Coach & FIDE Arbiter C Natarajan. MMCA has produced many rated players in it’s the lifespan of over 20+ years.
Matrix Chess Academy/Club, Delhi & Gurgaon: Matrix Chess Academy is founded & headed by FIDE Trainer Prasenjit Dutta. Matrix has been a chess pioneer in north India since the foundation. They have produced many world-class players. Matrix has been consistently sending 4 teams for the tournament.
South Mumbai Chess Academy (SMCA) – Mumbai & Rajahmundry: South Mumbai Chess Academy has been founded by FIDE Trainer Balaji Guttula & FIDE Rated Player Nagesh Guttula. SMCA has been imparting chess coaching to its students since 1996. Having produced National & International Champions and Rated players over the years.
A total of 83 players participated in the tournament that took place on 22nd November 2020.
The final team standings of the tournament are as follows:
- Mastermind Chess Academy (Team A), Chennai – 24 Points
- Matrix Chess Academy, Haryana – 22 Points
- Matrix Chess Academy, Delhi – 22 Points
- South Mumbai Chess Academy (Team A) – 20.5 Points
- Maestro Chess Academy (Team A), Hyderabad – 19.5 Points
- Matrix Chess Club – 14 Points
- Maestro Chess Academy (Team B), Hyderabad – 13 Points
- South Mumbai Chess Academy (Team B) – 11.5 Points
- Mastermind Chess Academy (Team B), Chennai – 10.5 Points
- Maestro Chess Academy (Team C), Hyderabad – 10.5 Points
The top 3 Player performances from yesterday’s tournament are as follows:
- Liban Reyhan from Mastermind Chess Academy, Chennai – 5 Points
- Sankalp Auro from Matrix Chess Academy, Gurgaon – 5 Points
- Krishna K from Mastermind Chess Academy, Chennai – 5 Points
SMCA’s Co-Founder & Managing Director FT Balaji Guttula quotes, “We have had excellent participation for our Invitational Championship being held fortnightly four times in a row! It’s been amazing to watch the participants from all the teams are loving the format of the tournament. We have been aiming to reach more players, with a bigger audience and we hope to achieve it in the months to come.”